The midfielder is happy with his form following a three-month injury lay-off but acknowledges that there is still much room for improvement
Bayern Munich’s Bastian Schweinsteiger is delighted to have returned to competitive football after a three-month absence but says that his performances are not yet as good as they should be.

The Germany international, who was sidelined for three months with an ankle injury, made his comeback in February and since then he has scored two goals in seven appearances, including the winner in a 2-1 win over Bayer Leverkusen on Saturday.

However, he still believes he has more to give and is working hard to reach top gear as soon as possible.

"I'm glad I no longer hurt as much. I feel a lot better." Schweinsteiger told his club’s official website.

"I am trying to reach my absolute top level as fast as possible. I'm not yet where I want to be [in terms of my level of performance], but I am glad that things are looking up."

Bayern’s sporting director Matthias Sammer is happy with Schweinsteiger’s recovery, but he has urged the midfielder to be patient and give himself time to get back to full fitness.

"I’ve known him for 20 months now and his whole movement is getting better,” added the 46-year-old. “He looks physically very stable.

“We should not forget that he wasn’t able to train really free after his operation.

“The timing is everything now. The last percentage of fitness will come with training and games.” ----------------- goal.com